EN: Skoči na filtre seznama
EN: Filtriranje se bo izvedlo ob spremembi izbire filtra in ne zahteva dodatne potrditve.

Travel information: Advice before travelling

Obtain as much advice, recommendations and information that can facilitate your stay abroad as possible.

Before travelling, find the characteristics of the destinations where you are travelling.


Obtain as much information as possible about the situation in countries where you are travelling on the internet, in tourist guides, news and guidance of local authorities. On the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), prompt notices about travel security are published.

Respect the customs and laws of foreign countries, be responsible and avoid risky situations.

We recommend that you voluntarily complete the form Information on travelling abroad before departure, especially if you are travelling to countries with greater security risks. Thus you facilitate the implementation of possible consular protection.


In some countries you can travel with an identity card, for others you need a passport. Which document to choose for your journey; check on the website of the MFA in section Representations worldwide. Make sure that the document is valid throughout the journey; however, we recommend you to carry its copy and a spare photograph for a personal identity document with you.


On the website of the MFA in section Representations worldwide, check whether you need a visa for the country where you are travelling. There you will find the contacts of embassies and consulates that you may contact for issuing visas.

Representations of the Republic of Slovenia worldwide

If in your travel destinations there are no representations of the RS, you can contact the embassy of any EU Member State or emergency service of the MFA which can be reached on telephone number +386 1 478 22 19.

Health and accident insurance

Obtain adequate health insurance for the duration of your travel abroad.

The European health insurance card (EHIC) is valid in:

· Member States of the European Union;

· member states of the European Economic Area;

· Switzerland;

· Macedonia;

· Serbia;

· Montenegro;

· Australia.

The convention certificate is valid in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

In countries where you cannot exercise the EHIC or convention certificate (e.g. USA), you should pay for the health care services and then you can apply for refund of expenses of emergency health care services in the regional office or exposure of HIIS; therefore we advise you that for the time of residing in these countries you conclude a commercial insurance with medical assistance abroad. In most travel agencies, the insurance is included in the price of travel. Check whether your insurance is valid throughout the journey and what is included (baggage and equipment, adventure sports and similar). Keep the number of the accident insurance policy and telephone number of the support centre available 24 hours a day with you.


Find out whether the vaccination is mandatory for the countries to which you travel. In some countries, the vaccinations against yellow fever is mandatory or recommended. Some states require it also for the travellers who just travel through countries where the disease is rampant. Moreover, the protection against malaria is recommended in many countries.

If in the countries, where you are travelling, epidemics are rampant, ask about measures to prevent infection.

A great deal of useful information on health in travels can be found on the websites:

· Zdravi na pot in nazaj (Healthy to journey and back)

· World Health Organisation

· Centre for Disease Prevention and Control

Before travelling abroad, you should also consult clinics for travellers about preventive health measures.

Means of transport

If you travel by public transport, obtain tickets in time. Make sure that your airline tickets are valid.

If you travel with your own vehicle, check the validity of your driving licence and roadworthiness of the vehicle. Most European countries recognise the Slovenian driving licence, while others specifically require the international equivalent. Familiarise yourself with the road traffic regulations of foreign countries and the state of the roads on the way in time.

Useful information and advice for travelling by car can be found on the websites of AMZS.


Take enough money for the journey. Carry small amounts of cash in small units; otherwise, we recommend payment by credit cards or traveller's cheques. Before departure, find out how to act in case of lost or stolen cards or cheques and save the phone number for their cancellation.

Familiarise yourself with the currency of the countries to which you are travelling and ask about the possibilities of exchanging Euro or other international currencies.

Travelling with animals

If you travel abroad with pets, you need a veterinary certificate on animal health, in particular on the prescribed regular vaccination against diseases such as rabies.

At least 12 hours before departure, report travelling with an animal to the Veterinary Administration of the Republic of Slovenia and it will issue a proper international medical certificate for crossing the border.

Cats, dogs and ferrets must have its own identification document in which the veterinarian shall enter all necessary information on the vaccination of animals. Individual countries may require additional vaccinations or tests which will also be conducted by a veterinarian.

In the coming years, all Member States of the European Union will introduce mandatory labelling of animals with electronic microchips which makes it easy to connect with the relevant travel documents of the animals. During the transition period the identification of animals with a tattoo will be allowed, except in the United Kingdom and Ireland which now already require microchips.

More information about travelling with animals can be obtained on the website of the Veterinary Administration.

competent authority