EN: Skoči na filtre seznama
EN: Filtriranje se bo izvedlo ob spremembi izbire filtra in ne zahteva dodatne potrditve.

Drivers and vehicles: Import of vehicles from abroad

In the European Union countries, uniform rules that facilitate the movement of vehicles between individual countries are applicable.

If you import a vehicle from another Member State of the European Union, this is called the acquisition of the vehicle; if the vehicle is from a country which is not an EU member, this is called import.

Import of vehicles from the Member States of the European Union

Within the Member States of the European Union (EU), harmonised technical regulations are applicable in the field of vehicles to facilitate the movement of vehicles between individual countries.

If you as an individual have purchased a vehicle in one of the EU Member States, you must submit an application to one of the professional organisations for a vehicle acquisition from the EU, which shall include:

• Proof of purchase of the vehicle (invoice);

• Certificate of Conformity (COC) of the vehicle or a registration document issued by the competent authority of the country of origin of the vehicle.

On the basis of the application the process of verification of the conformity of the vehicle is carried out:

• the identity of the vehicle is established according to the information in the documents;

• the integrity of the vehicle is verified (installation of all required components according to the manufacturer's specifications);

• the ability of the vehicle to drive safely in road traffic is established;

• all data is collected and a record on the examination of the vehicle is issued which is the basis for issuing the consent to registration or certificate of conformity SB.

If the vehicle you are acquiring from one of the EU Member States is older than originating from the year 2009, you must submit a uniform European EC type-approval for the following categories of vehicles:

• passenger cars (Category M1);

• two and three-wheel vehicles (category L); and

• agricultural tractors with speeds up to 40 km/h (categories T1, T2 and T3).

For vehicles that do not have a uniform European type-approval because they are not authorised by harmonised EU rules, you must in addition to the proof of purchase provide:

• documents with technical information on the vehicle;

• evidence of conformity of the vehicle with technical specifications or equivalent regulations (type-approval of components, national certificate of conformity, certificate of a technical service registered in the EU).

If non-compliance or inadequacy of the vehicle is established in the process, the issuance of the consent to registration is refused by a decision.

Import of non-European vehicles

If you import a vehicle that has been manufactured for non-European markets and has not acquired a uniform European type-approval, the following is carried out in the process of conformity of the vehicle:

• identification of the vehicle;

• assessment of the technical condition of the vehicle;

• identification of providing an equivalent level of protection of the public interest in the areas of safety and environmental protection.

If you import a vehicle from a country which is not an EU member, it is necessary to carry out individual approval in which the compatibility of the vehicle with valid Slovenian or EU regulations is established.

Vehicles coming from the US market must have lighting equipment processed in accordance with the EU regulations that require asymmetric light beam, adequate turn indicators and adapted electrical connection.

If the vehicle complies with all the technical requirements and equivalent level of protection of public interest, a certificate of conformity is issued.

legal sources

competent authority


If you are willing to give us more details, please fill in the following survey. | Submit your feedback