Personal documents, digital certificate: Passport
With a passport, you prove your identity and citizenship and you can also travel abroad.
A passport is an official document that enables a Slovenian citizen to cross state borders and proves his/her identity and citizenship. A passport can be obtained by every citizen, irrespective of residence; it may be obtained by children regardless of age.
Passports have various periods of validity:
• 10 years if the citizen is 18 years old or older;
• 3 years if the child is younger than 3 years;
• 5 years if the child is 3 to 18 years old;
• 1 year if you have lost or missed two or more passports or they have been stolen from you in the period of 5 years before the submission of application; or if, for reasons of a temporary nature, fingerprinting is not possible.
The passport can be replaced at any time, even before its expiration.
In the following cases, the passport must be submitted to the administrative unit for destruction within 30 days:
• change of the name or surname;
• change of permanent residence if the entry of the address change is no longer possible;
• the photograph does not show your true image;
• the citizenship of the Republic of Slovenia has ceased;
• the passport is damaged or defective and, therefore, no longer usable.
If your passport is stolen or lost, you must inform the administrative unit as soon as possible but at least within 8 days. If this happens abroad, inform the diplomatic or consular representation of the Republic of Slovenia or an administrative unit within 8 days after returning to Slovenia.
For the issuance of a new passport after the first misplacement, loss, theft or damage due to improper handling of the holder, you shall pay twice the value of the administrative fee and, upon each subsequent misplacement during the five years preceding the submission of the application, four times the value of the administrative fee.